EnviCrimeNet Annual Meeting
Date: November 19, 2014
Venue: Europol, The Hague
The objectives of the annual meeting of EnviCrimeNet, an informal network of European police organisations concerned with environmental crime, were to:
- provide an update on recent data collection to fill gaps in the understanding of environmental crime trends and implementation shortcomings;
- introduce the work and projects of non-police organisations in the field of combating environmental crime;
- outline the situation in each participating country regarding the police detection of environmental crimes;
- encourage coordination among all invited stakeholders on the general directions of work, including INTERPOL’s National Environmental Security Task Force (NEST) concept; and
- review environmental crime cases.
The most relevant outcomes of the meeting for the Themis Network were:
- increased visibility for Themis among potential police partners across the EU;
- the establishment of contacts between Themis and Europol; and
- the introduction of the Dutch police’s online app to help street police officers recognise environmental offences and take the appropriate steps.